2020 saw the year that we would have celebrated 150 years of agricultural show history.
On the 27th of October, 1855, 20 people attended the inaugural meeting of the Strathalbyn Agricultural Society. Chaired by Dr Rankine- the first show was held on the 5th of March 1856, adjacent to the Robin Hood Hotel.
The Observer- 25th August 1860
‘Strathalbyn Agricultural and Horticultural Society’ formed. Dr Walker SM elected president. A committee of 30 gentleman was formed, with power to add to the committee. Subscriptions 10/6 per month
The Observer- 22nd April 1865
‘The Strathalbyn Agricultural pastoral and Horticultural Society’ formed- committee of 25 gentlemen. To hold one annual show each yet but not this year
A continuation of show history
In 1883, the society succeeded in purchasing a whole 6 acre town block, bordered by Commercial road, Wallbank Street, West Terrace and Mill street, including Coleman’s store for 600 pounds
The first time a motor car was shown in Strathalbyn was at the 1901 October show. Mr Vivian Lewis of Adelaide drive the car up on show morning, leaving Adelaide at 8:40am and arriving at the showgrounds at 11:30am. This was hailed as a great achievement
The Polo grounds had been given to the community by Richard Smith in 1904 and supplemented by a further gift from Sir Lancelot, anticipating future use of the Agricultural Society, however the community preferred the Ashbourne Road site, it being closer to town Generous gift as this was, the site selection was controversial and resulted in Sir Lancelot Stirling, Society president of 28 years, retiring from that office. Sir Lancelot’s preference was the Polo grounds of 29.5 acres
1908 Strathalbyn Show Special
Special trains from Adelaide, Port Victor, Milang and Murray Bridge. 203 light horse entries and 52 draught horse entries. A ‘magnificent lot of animals’. Strathalbyn was famous for it’s horses. The Southern Argus 29th October, 1908
With increasing stock numbers, the Showgrounds were becoming too small and in the year 1909, Mr Richard Carruthers offered 12 acres of his land for show purposes- between Ashbourne road and Coronation road to the Society. His offer was accepted and the first show on the new grounds was held on 21st October 1910. Unfortunately Mr Carruthers died before this event The Southern Argus October 2010
And the years go on…
1952- Log Chopping and Sheaf Tossing was introduced, attracting more than 80 entries for the former and 50 for the latter, Eclipsing the Royal Adelaide Show in both cases. In 1953 there were 70 entries for Sheaf Tossing (an all Australian record)- these events were still on the programme in 1973
Although the Centenary of the Agricultural Society occurred in 1955, the Centenary Show, which was opened by Senator Malcom Fraser, the future Australian Prime Minister, did not occur until 1970.
See all of our amazing show history from news articles, to trophies and medals, to programs and newspaper clippings on display, every year at the Strathalbyn Agricultural Show…
2020 © Copyright The Strathalbyn Agricultural Show Society. Except where otherwise noted, content on this document is licensed under a Creative Commons Non-Commercial Attribution No Derivatives Licence 4.0